You can make a positive contribution
We are currently developing our volunteer programme and we have a team of volunteers who work throughout the year providing practical and emotional support to our members. Their time and commitment is invaluable to the charity and is vital to those accessing our services. Volunteering is a great way to share your enthusiasm, skills and ideas whilst having fun and meeting like-minded people. Volunteers have an important role and can enrich and extend our work and help us make services more flexible and accessible.
We believe strongly in the value of volunteering and seek to involve volunteers from across the community in order to provide the members we support with a diverse range of supporters from throughout society who can contribute a wide variety of skills, experience and perspectives to our work. There are a number of benefits to volunteering at BBS UK such as:
- Gaining valuable work experience in support and health services
- Gaining knowledge about BBS
- Improving communication skills
- Networking opportunities
- Working with diverse groups
- Improving team working skills
- Gaining referemces for future positions
- Meeting like-minded people.
You can volunteer for BBS UK in a number of ways and we have a range of opportunities for volunteers to get involved in. Here are some details of the opportunities and areas where experience can be gained.
- You can work directly with the BBS clinics support team to offer vital help during our clinic days. You can volunteer at either the Children’s clinics at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London or Birmingham Children’s hospital or at the Adult clinics at Guys Hospital, London or Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham
- Volunteer at our Annual Family Weekend by helping with our conference day programme, running stalls or evening workshops or becoming a trip carer or crèche support worker
- Volunteer and support our adult or children and family’s activity weekends or day trips
- Volunteer on the BBS UK stand at exhibitions such as Sight Village London, Birmingham or Manchester
- Contribute to our newsletter
- Become a Trustee. We are always keen to hear from anyone who may be interested in becoming a trustee. All of our trustees are adults with BBS or parents of children with BBS. If you would like to help the charity continue to be a user led organisation, please think about joining us. We also welcome trustees who can bring other life or professional experience to the management committee. For example, trustees with experience of fundraising or human resources can be invaluable to a charity like BBS UK.
Becoming a volunteer
We are very grateful to everybody who gives their time to volunteer with BBS UK. Some types of volunteering with us could involve a regular commitment, others are more informal. We hope you will be able to offer your commitment to us which will allow us to give you an appropriate level of support and plan our services. If you are interested in volunteering, you will be asked to complete a simple application form. Once we receive your completed form, a member of our team will get in touch with more information on opportunities and we can decide together which option best matches your interests and time availability. Potential trustees will be invited to come along as observers to management committee meetings first to get a better idea of what would be involved before committing themselves. If you would like to apply or would like further information about volunteering or have any questions contact us at email@example.com.